I’m leaving for Chicago tomorrow to attend ALA Annual 2017 (and to eat some real pizza), and while going over the schedule I found some programs that may be of interest to Mashcat folk:
- Cataloging and Metadata for the Web: Meeting the User Where They Are (Friday, June 23 8:00; AM – 4:00 PM; McCormick Place, W179a; ticketed pre-conference)
- Competencies and Education for a Career in Cataloging (ALCTS CaMMS) (Friday, June 23; 1:00 PM – 2:30 PM; McCormick Place, W184d)
- Linked Library Data Interest Group (ALCTS LITA): Applicability and Practicality of BIBFRAME (Saturday, June 24; 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM; McCormick Place, S102)
- Cataloging Norms Interest Group (ALCTS CaMMS): The Changing Metadata Arena and Its Practitioners (Saturday, June 24; 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM; McCormick Place, S104)
- MARC Format Transition Interest Group (ALCTS LITA): What happens to the library catalog in the age of linked data?: Discussion & Reaction Panel (Saturday, June 24; 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM; McCormick Place, W184a)
- Cleaning Up the Mess: Modernizing Your Dev Team’s Outdated Workflow (Sunday, June 25; 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM; McCormick Place, W178a)
- Metadata Migration: Managing Methods and Mayhem
(Sunday, June 25; 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM; McCormick Place, W185bc)
- New sources of metadata : A path for opening up public records for all (Monday, June 26; 8:00 AM – 8:45 AM; McCormick Place, W183a)
- Heads of Cataloging Departments Interest Group (ALCTS CaMMS): Applying Agile Practices to Metadata Workflows (Monday, June 26; 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM; McCormick Place, W190a)
As a little experiment, I’ve started a Google Doc for shared notes about events and other goings-on at the conference. There will of course be a lot of coverage on social media about the conference, but the shared notes doc might be a way for Mashcatters to identify common themes.
Mashcat at ALA Annual 2017 + shared notes by Galen Charlton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.